Monthly Archives: October 2014

The Microwave Pen

I’ve run into a slight problem with my microwave. It happened a while ago actually. The start button kind of broke. Initially, what happened was the paper-thin piece of plastic that said ‘start’ broke off. But the plastic piece behind that was still intact.

This first problem had a relatively easy solution. We just had to be careful about pushing the button the correct way. If we pushed it at an odd angle, the button would not work. No big deal. FH and I got used to this.

After a few weeks, we barely noticed the problem. It wasn’t even an inconvenience so much anymore. It was just a little quirk we had to deal with. There are quite a few quirks that have to be dealt with in our home, so one more did not seem like a big deal.

Then one day, I was heating up some food in the microwave. I went to push the button and I hit it too hard. And the whole thing fell inside the microwave. Luckily, I was able to realize with my strong observational skills that there is a sensor behind the button. The sensor was still intact.

After making this discovery, I realized that we had another problem with a relatively easy solution. The only thing is, I feel like in general it is a good rule of thumb to not stick your fingers inside things like microwaves. So how to reach the sensor? I was pleased to find yet another ingenious solution.

Now, when we need to heat something up in the microwave, we simply use a pen that has been designated ‘the microwave pen’. We stick the pen (plastic = doesn’t conduct) through the hole that used to be a button until we hit the sensor. Voila! Good as new. Or maybe… it might be time to get a new microwave.

Advertisements